– Folkstyle Season Lasts Nov-Mar(this is the main style wrestled in HS’s and College’s in the USA)
– Typically Children Aged 3-14(3&4 years olds should be enrolled in little hammers only)
– Practices will be at Washburn Rural High School(Mar-October) 5900 SW 61st St, Topeka, KS 66614 and Washburn Rural Middle School(Nov-Feb) 5620 SW 61st St, Topeka, KS 66619
– Little Hammers Wrestlers(1st and 2nd year 3-5 year olds who are fully potty trained)
– Novice Wrestlers(1st and 2nd year wrestlers 5-8 years old)
– Open Wrestlers(1st/2nd/3rd/4th year wrestlers 8 and up)
– Elite Wrestlers(4th year and above)
– These classes are not concrete but rather general guidelines.
– Freestyle Greco Season Lasts April-Early June
– We do not recommend that ANY little hammers compete. We do not recommend that all novice wrestlers compete. The child’s emotional and physical maturity should be what dictates that decision.
– Costs involved can be found in our online store here
– Little hammers season ends around the 1st of February
– Novice season ends around the 1st of March(unless they wrestle in the Open State Championship series of tournaments then they will wrestle until the end of March)
– Weekend tournaments are held at HS’s and venues throughout the state almost year round $ cost $20-50$ on average.
– In order to practice you must have wrestling shoes(30-50$ish for basic shoes which do just fine)
– Best practice attire = pocketless shorts and well fitting t-shirt
– In order to compete you must have headgear(20-50$) and a team singlet.(not required for practice)
– We rent team singlets/headgear AND order a new design of singlet($50ish) every year.
Expanded Information about Little Hammers/Novice/Open/Elite classes
The little hammers practices are geared towards 3-5 year old potty trained 1st year wrestlers who are not quite ready for requirements of the novice room. A younger wrestler(3yo or 4yo) MAY be best suited for 2 years of little hammers before moving into our novice program but the goal is to progress up through the levels as soon as possible by learning all of the required technique in each level.
Our novice room is very structured and requires a child to be somewhat self motivated, non interruptive, and able to function without their parent in the room. This leaves a lot of young wrestlers in the making without a place to fall in love with the sport. That is why we created the little hammers. If we can drive a love for sport into them at a young age, we can keep more kids involved in something that benefits them personally, socially, physically, mentally and spiritually FOR LIFE.
Little hammers will focus on:
Basic wrestling movements and positions
Early mindset training
!!!!!IT IS NOT RECOMMENDED THAT LITTLE HAMMERS COMPETE!!!!!